In 1848 John Pascoe Fawkner convened a public meeting at the Queen’s Head Hotel to elect a committee and formally institute the Victorian Horticultural Society. The Superintendent of the colony, Charles La Trobe, was Patron and the President was Mayor Henry Moor.
In October 1885 the Society was granted a royal charter by Queen Victoria and became the Royal Horticultural Society of Victoria (RHSV).
The RHSV remained unchanged for many years. For over 100 years it existed as an autonomous society for those who appreciated horticulture at both an amateur and professional level. Monthly meetings were held as were seasonal shows at which members could display their flowers, plants and fruit to the general public.
The Society standardised general judging and conducted horticultural judge training schools within the State.
Many horticultural organisations, garden clubs and specialist societies throughout Victoria and Interstate were affiliated with the RHSV, and in many cases started as a section of the Society.
Today the Society continues to fulfil the needs of home gardeners, specialist growers and a variety of horticultural clubs and related organisations.